Cycling Canada has announced its selections for the 2013 UCI Cyclo-cross World championships, to be held in Louisville, Kentucky, this upcoming February 2-3.
Among the list of 18 athletes heading south for the event, Olympians Geoff Kabush (SCOTT-3RoxRacing) and Emily Batty (Trek-Subaru), who both represented Canada at the 2012 Olympic Games in London, GBR this past July, will be wearing the Canadian uniform.
Kabush has been a prominent player this cyclo-cross season, posting regular Top 5 results at various races on the USGP of Cyclo-cross. Kabush will be joined notably by Chris Sheppard, a multiple Canadian Champion and former Mountain Bike Canadian Champion who finished second at the 2012 Canadian Cyclo-cross Championships.
“Worlds in Louisville is a unique opportunity and I'm really excited to be racing the Cyclo-cross Championships for the first time,” said Kabush. “It's always been difficult to fit into my Mountain bike schedule but the chance to race the Europeans on our own turf is one I couldn't pass up. Cyclo-cross is a discipline and culture I have always really loved and I hope many Canadians make it down to Louisville to enjoy the event and cheer the Canadians on. We have some great talent on the squad this year and I think it will be exciting to see what we can accomplish.”
Mical Dyck (Stan’s No Tube), the reigning Canadian Champion, will be a rider to watch for at this prestigious UCI World Championships on North American soil. Wendy Simms, a long-time cyclo-cross rider and multiple Canadian Champion, will also be suiting up for Canada. Simms finished second at the 2012 Canadian championships. Pepper Harlton (Juventus Cycling Club), another strong rider with good results this season, has also accepted her invitation to race for Canada.
Three-time Canadian U23 Champion Evan McNeely (Specialized Canada) will be hoping for a good result at the World Championships. “I've never done any big international cyclo-cross race outside of North America, however, I am confident based on some of my successes on this continent, combined with some of the cross-specific training I have been doing this December, that I'll be as prepared as I ever could be for Louisville come February. I think Canada will have some surprises up its sleeve this year.”
McNeely, a mountain bike specialist, will be joined by Andrew l’Espérance (Norco Factory Team) and Michael van den Ham as the top contenders. The junior field will be headlined by the reigning Canadian Champion Peter Disera and Trevor Pearson.
Canadian Delegation – 2012 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships – Louisville, KY
- Mical Dyck (Stan’s No Tube) - @micaldyck
- Wendy Simms
- Emily Batty (Team Subaru-Trek) - @emilybatty
- Pepper Harlton (Juventus Cycling Club)
- Julia Lafrenière (Xprezo-Borsao)
- Geoff Kabush (SCOTT-3Rox Racing) - @geoffkabush
- Chris Sheppard (Rocky Mountain Bicycles)
- Craig Richey (SponsorConnected.com-Ridley Bikes) - @craig_richey
- Aaron Schooler (Norco Bicycles-SRI Importing) - @aschooler6
- Mike Garrigan - @mike_garrigan
- Evan McNeely (Specialized Canada) - @evanmcneely
- Andrew l’Espérance (Norco Factory Team) - @a__lesperance
- Michael van de Ham - @bikemikevdh
- Connor O’Brien (Stevens p/b The Cyclery)
- Peter Disera (Cycle Solutions-Angry Johnny’s Cycling Club) - @petey__d
- Trevor Pearson (DEVO)
- Isaac Niles (Team Alberta)
- Neil Symington (Outdoor Elements-Atlantic Cycling Centre)
Follow the racers selected by their respective countries to participate at the 2013 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships via our twitter lists: