The Royal Dutch Cycling Federation (KNWU) announced today its preliminary selection of 14 riders for the 2013 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships to be held in Louisville KY on February 2-3, 2013.
Defending world champion Marianne Vos will try to claim her sixth cyclo-cross rainbow jersey in Louisville, in addition to her current road world title. The elite women squad also includes her Rabobank. Liv/Giant teammates Sanne van Paassen and Sabrina Stultiens.
For the elite men, coach Johan Lammerts has selected Lars van der Haar (Giant Off-Road Team) who is currently ranked fifth in the world, Twan van den Brand (Orange Babies Cycling Team) and Thijs van Amerongen (AA Drink Cyclocross Team). Tough only 21 years of age, van der Haar who won the 2012 under23 world championships received a dispensation from the UCI to race in the elite men category for the 2012/2013 Cyclo-cross season.
The under23 Dutch squad includes Corné van Kessel of Telenet Fidea Cycling Team David van der Poel of BKCP - Powerplus Cycling Team and Mike Teunissen, Emiel Dolfsma and Michiel van der Heijden, all three from the Rabo - Giant Offroad Team. A sixth rider will be named after the final World Cup in Hoogerheide on January 20, 2013.
Defending world champion Mathieu van der Poel who is undefeated this season so far, with 22 victories out of 22 races will lead the junior men squad. Martijn Budding and Richard Jansen will also be racing in Louisville, all three race for the Enertherm – BKCP team.
A sixth rider will be named for the under23 squad after the final World Cup in Hoogerheide on January 20, 2013. For the other categories, an “exceptional performance” is needed at Hoogergeide to be potentially added to the Louisville 2013 squad. The final selection will be made on January 22, 2013.
Purchase tickets for Louisville 2013, the first time in 60 years that the UCI World Elite Cyclo-cross Championships will be held outside of Europe!
Royal Dutch Cycling Federation Team – 2013 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships, Louisville, KY
- Lars van der Haar (Giant Off-Road Team) - @larsvanderhaar
- Twan van den Brand (Orange Babies Cycling Team) - @TwanvandenBrand
- Thijs van Amerongen (AA Drink Cyclocross Team) - @Amerongentv
- Marianne Vos (Rabobank. Liv/Giant) - @marianne_vos
- Sanne van Paassen (Rabobank. Liv/Giant) - @sannevanpaassen
- Sabrina Stultiens (Rabobank. Liv/Giant) - @STULTIENS_S
- Mike Teunissen (Rabo - Giant Offroad Team) - @MikeTeunissen
- Emiel Dolfsma (Rabo - Giant Offroad Team)
- Corné van Kessel (Telenet Fidea Cycling Team) - @cornevankessel
- David van der Poel (BKCP - Powerplus Cycling Team) - @Davidvanderpoel
- Michiel van der Heijden (Rabo - Giant Offroad Team) - @Heijden
- Mathieu van der Poel (Enertherm - BKCP) - @mathieuvdpoel
- Martijn Budding (Enertherm - BKCP) - @MartijnBudding
- Richard Jansen (Enertherm - BKCP)
Follow the racers selected by their respective countries to participate at the 2013 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships via our twitter lists: