Earlier today, the Belgian Federation named the 20 riders that will represent Belgium at the for the 2013 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships to be held in Louisville, KY on February 2 and 3, 2013. Favorites to win the rainbow jersey, their seven-rider elite men's squad could grow by one more if a Belgian - that is not the reigning world champion - wins the overall World Cup.
The elite men's squad consists of reigning world champion Niels Albert and newly crowned Belgian champion Klaas Vantornout, Sven Nys, Kevin Pauwels, Rob Peeters, Bart Wellens and Bart Aernouts.
By being tops in the 2011/2012 nation rankings, Belgian is allowed to start five riders in the elite men's race. In addition to their six starters, the Belgian Federation were also able to add the reigning world champion Niels Albert to make it seven. And, if a Belgian rider that is not Niels Albert wins the overall World Cup, they can field eight riders at Louisville.
If they do rate an extra rider, coach Rudy De Bie will make the decision if any of the three reservists are added after the final World Cup in Hoogerheide on January 20, 2013. The three reservists are Jim Aernouts, Jan Denuwelaere and Dieter Vanthourenhout.
Belgian champion Sanne Cant and Ellen van Loy will be racing in the elite women's race. Cant was third at the 2012 World Championships in Koksijde, Belgium.
The six riders to start in the under23 race are champion Laurens Sweeck, Wietse Bosmans, Jens Adams, Wout Van Aert, Michael Vanthourenhout and Gianni Vermeersch. In the junior men race, the Belgian team includes national champion Yannick Peeters, Ben Boets, Nicolas Cleppe, Kobe Goossens and Quinten Hermans.
Belgian Cycling Federation Team – 2013 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships, Louisville, KY
- Niels Albert (BKCP – Powerplus) - @niels_albert
- Bart Aernouts (AA Drink/ Leontien.nl)
- Kevin Pauwels (Sunweb-Napoleon Games) - @ktpauwels
- Sven Nys (Crelan-Euphony) - @sven_nys
- Rob Peeters (Telenet-Fidea) - @peetersrob
- Klaas Vantornout (Sunweb-Napoleon Games) - @klaasvt_be
- Bart Wellens (Telenet-Fidea) - @wellensonline
- Sanne Cant (Enertherm – BKCP) - @sannecant
- Ellen Van Loy (Melbotech)
- Wietse Bosmans (BKCP - Powerplus)
- Jens Adams (BKCP - Powerplus)
- Laurens Sweeck (Landbouwkrediet-KDL) - @LaurensSweeck
- Wout Van Aert (Telenet Fidea) - @WoutvanAert
- Michael Vanthourenhout (BKCP - Powerplus)
- Gianni Vermeersch (BKCP – Powerplus) - @Gvermeersch
- Ben Boets (Young Telenet Fidea) - @Benboets
- Nicolas Cleppe (Young Telenet Fidea) - @NicolasCleppe
- Kobe Goossens (Young Telenet Fidea) - @KobeGoossens
- Quinten Hermans (Young Telenet Fidea) - @Quintenhermans
- Yannick Peeters (Kon. Balen B.C. V.Z.W.)
Follow the racers selected by their respective countries to participate at the 2013 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships via our twitter lists: